2.04.2008

unemployed

I think the last time I was unemployed was a short stretch between flippin' burgers at Buck Hill for the free season pass and my glorious career as a pizza artist at Dominoes my senior year of high school. I've been a responsible working citizen for 20 years now, well... until today at least. Yep, it all began with my first paper route delivering the southeast metro edition of the Minneapolis Star Tribune. I'll admit that I was never all that fond of waking up at 4:30am every weekend to hit the pavement on my Steve Caballero skateboard, paperboy bag slung over the shoulder, skaterbangs flapping in the wind. Yet, I couldn't resist lining my pockets with the 13 crisp greenbacks that I earned every two weeks. It's true, I was all about the Benjamins... well, actually the Washingtons.

But it didn't end there. At a mere 14 years old, still considered among many to be but a child, I joined the ranks of burger flipper at Burger King, and then on to chicken fryer and customer service representative at KFC. I climbed through the ranks fast, a rising star among fast food giants. Onward and upward I rose... camp counselor, then youth pastor, on to mission leader, even program director! But now it has all come to a crashing halt. Unemployed. Laying on my couch, posting a blog. What have I become? Who am I if I do not work?

Identity is a powerful thing. If we are not careful, we begin to believe that we are the sum of what we do. What a tragic life if that is the case. I think maybe it is good for me to be unemployed. How else would I deconstruct this idol that I have too often worshipped, call it work, call it ministry, call it what you will. Whatever you call it, it is a false identity, an idol of our own construction, and it needs to be smashed. So here's to being unemployed! Let the demolition begin!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Blessings. I have been having my own demolition fiesta...it comes with a multitude of emotions. I'm glad to be reminded of the need to separate who I am from what I do. Enjoy your day!

MJS said...

Yes. Smash the system Todd.

S'dizzle said...

Smashing post Todd. I like picturing you with your curly skaterbangs flowing. Quite a resume you have, even after working at McDonald's beginning at age 15 throughout high school (I thought it was illegal to work at 14), anyways, I didn't even make crew trainer.

In any case, this leap of faith will be swell, and at least you know that you and Jenni always have a place at the farm.

Anonymous said...

"Each time this identity announces itself, someone or something cries: Look out for the trap, you're caught. Take off, get free, disengage yourself. "
~jacques derrida

I admire the journey...now get on your bike and let's get our asses ready for a century ride!
JW

S'dizzle said...

By the way, I saw that starbuck in calhoun square is hiring if you are willing to come ALL THE WAY to Minneapolis.

Unknown said...

Thanks for the conversation yesterday and congrats on being a professional Barista! I would buy coffee from you. :)

Kari Smith said...

Wow Bratty! Great words. Why do we always fall into the trap of thinking that what we do and what our job title says is the sum of who we are? How often I fall into that very same trap-every time I tell someone what my job is actually. I'm excited for God to do some idol smashing in you as you search and wait for next steps! Let the refining begin!!!!