11.15.2007

on parenting...

Pretty much all the honest truth-telling there is in the world is done by children. ~Oliver Wendell Holmes

In keeping with the promise of my previous post, I will try to collect here some thoughts on becoming a parent. I don't know how to adequately express the immense joy and incredible weight that I feel as I think about the prospect of parenting. Jenni and I are so grateful for the new life that is growwing in her. To think that God would entrust us to love and raise the most precious of God's creation is humbling to say the least. There is nothing like the mirror of a child to remind us of how broken we truly are. The accountability frightens me and causes me to be grateful at the same time. A little truth telling is never a bad thing though it can sting quite a bit. I look forward to this journey, for it is sure to be a journey of faith and not of sight. I only pray for mercy as Jenni and I stumble through the darkness of parenting, for I am confident that much will be revealed as we drawn out into the light which is the grace and mercy of God.

2 comments:

S'dizzle said...

I'm looking forward to that little grub

Anonymous said...

Hey t~lich,
I am very excited for you and Jenni and the baby that is forthcoming! As I read your post I was struck with how different it was from your other posts. Knowing a little about how you think/process material it sounded more like Chuck Swindol than Todd Bratulich. I don't think God "entrusts" us with children as much as He has given humanity/creation natural laws; egg plus sperm equals baby. It is an amazing thing! but that’s how all humans procreate…it’s true for upstanding citizens, meth heads, your parents, etc. If it were a matter of God truly entrusting certain people to be parents, who could have kids? (not to mention that I would be out of a job)
Babies and young kids are cute as a biological feature that attracts caretakers toward those young lives, to better help them survive and be cared for. You mentioned the "mirror of a child" to remind us how broken we are. I don't argue that, we are broken, but what do we perpetuate or change with the birth/raising of a child?
I am not sure what God has given us, but I know what we have: natural laws, minds, the Holy Spirit, and alcohol. I see your “journey” as one of sight and hope. You and Jenni are intelligent beings, you have been given memories, experiences, and knowledge to call upon (and each other, friends, books, parents, Spirit, the baby, etc) to figure things out as you go along!
JW