10.14.2006

an impossible kingdom

I just keep running into these impossible words of Jesus in the Gospels. Like this scripture from Mark 10 that I'm supposed to teach on with Jr. High kids tomorrow morning, "go, sell all that you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me." I've always thought about this as one of those non-literal things that Jesus said. How convenient for me! Jesus doesn't care about money, right? He just cares about my heart. That makes it a hell of a lot easier to follow at least.

So then Pastor Russell the other week asks, "what if it was about money?" What if I can't spiritualize it away as nice reminder to "give my all" to Jesus, whatever that means. As if I even give much of anything to Jesus. I have a hard time parting with my money, that's for sure. I like to use that on me. In fact, I can't name a whole lot of commandments that I don't break once you really get down to it. Especially if you define them like Jesus does in the sermon on the mount; if you're angry with your brother or sister you have committed murder in your heart, if you have looked at a woman or man lustfully you have committed adultery in your heart, etc...

It makes me think this whole entering the kingdom of heaven thing is pretty well, impossible. It's too bad I've spent most of my life trying to attain, or at least to appear to have attained some form or righteousness. And then you have Jesus, hangs out with hookers and drunks, crooked rich guys and homeless cripples. Says crazy stuff like, "but many who are first will be last, and the last first."

2 comments:

S'dizzle said...

Like I said, on a scale of eternal damnation to eternal salvation I may be looking at fire and brimstone...

It's nice to read some of the inner workings of the mind/heart of Todd B.

Anonymous said...

Hey Bratulich,

We were just looking at the Sermon on the mount passage in Sunday school. Do not worry. The Kingdom of God is a huge paradigm shift in our minds and hearts. Let's chat in person soon.
-Maas